This is a 'short' story I wrote a year ago for my English Writing Class. Sorry if it's too descriptive, but the Professor asked for more description, so I did just that.
You'll find the story in the Guide Bar above my posts labeled: Rurouni.
Now, it's based on the Meji Era of Japan, and it is about twins who were separated and was reunited in very bad circumstances. Now the two must defend each other against assassins from their past lives and reveal who wants them dead, and why.
Sounds a bit cliche, I know, and it's not completely finished, but I do hope you enjoy it! ^^
The setting you chose for your story is definitely an interesting one. I'm also pretty impressed with your knowledge of the Meji Era. Though I admit I know very little about that time (or much of Japanese history for that matter) so if there were historical inconsistencies I likely wouldn't catch them.
ReplyDeleteYour ability to illustrate the story's environment, different actions, and Shinta's style was also very good. Though, like you mentioned in this post, I do have to admit that the descriptions did become a bit much at times which would likely be my main criticism. However, being descriptive and even overly descriptive is not necessarily a bad thing since every writer needs to identify their own style. Also through your descriptions you were able to give an interesting glimpse of Japanese life during that time and you were able to establish your setting very well. Plus you gave insight on Shinta's character fairly well. But, like you said before, this was an assignment.
Though this story was interesting I look forward to reading something by you without limitations; especially since you seem most interested in the fantasy genre. Just keep writing and don't over think about your writer's block. Just don't be too hard on yourself. If you're having problems in life try to remember why you write. Don't let it be some other obligation you have to tend to but let it be an escape from everything else. Other than that just keep up the good work.